Wednesday 18 July 2012

Gaining Some Perspective

I woke up this morning and was excited to get on the scales to see what the last week’s work on exercise and diet had thrown out for me.  I was over the moon to see a loss of 2.4kgs this week.  This brings my total weight loss in 6 ½ weeks to 15.3kgs.  This is mind blowing to me and something that I never thought would happen when I started this program.  I am enjoying the new place I am in mentally, physically and emotionally with my new outlook and the changes that are visible to all.

I would also like to add that I am extremely proud of my wife as she has lost over 11kgs in the same time, whilst battling the dreaded cold and flu twice and also being limited in the training she can do due to her leg (suffered in car accident 6 years ago) but she has ensured her diet is perfect and worked out whatever way she can to ensure she is still active.  Well done Boofie, you are truly a legend and an inspiration to me and your children to show there are no excuses, JFDI.

This morning, as per my usual Wednesday ritual, I logged in to both the 12WBT and facebook forums to record my weight in various threads and groups and have a boast about my great week when I was confronted with a picture and story which saddened me quite a bit.  This is for no other reason than seeing exactly what life can throw at some people and how cruel it can be.    Firstly I saw this beautiful photo (see below) which is something we would all like to see rather than the dour interiors of our workplace.  Attached to this was a little story about a 6 year old boy named Talin Hawkins. 
You can read more here about this poor little fellow. 

First of all I wondered why so many people had shared this picture, but after reading the attached links I couldn’t help sharing it myself.  As a father of 4 beautiful, yet sometimes cheeky, naughty and painful children, I could only feel anguish at what these poor parents, siblings and broader friends and family had to go through.  It certainly puts into perspective the things in life which are most important and that we sometimes need to re-evaluate what we are doing and why.
To me this re-evaluation of what we are doing in life is never more important than right now.  My journey on this 12WBT is not only about me, it is also about my kids and wife.  If I didn’t decide to make the change NOW then it may end up being too late.  I do not want anyone to think I am comparing my situation to poor little Talin’s as I have a choice, sadly he never.  The point is that I do have the option to make a choice, now I have for the better and to not only benefit me and hopefully be around a lot longer, but also for my children and my wife.  No one ever wants to think that they are causing themselves harm, but the amount of weight I have been carrying for the last 20 years can only lead to numerous diseases and illnesses that can and will ultimately end in death.  Not a nice thought but a reality.  Thank you to my wife for signing up to this and showing me that it would be a good idea, I am now feeling so much better for it already and this is just the beginning.
It is sad that the passing of a little boy, not much older than one of my own son’s, has to be a catalyst for me to look at my situation and understand that whilst I am overweight and trying to achieve some change, I have a lot to be happy for and to continue on my path for a better version of myself. 

As I said earlier, I have the opportunity to make these choices at the moment and need to ensure I can control all things in my power and let all the other things just happen around me.  The things I can control are my diet, my exercise and my will to ensure this happens and the weight comes off.  Everything else will fall into place around that and the world for me will be a better place.



Gladly this is happening at the moment for me and I hope all participants in the 12WBT.  We are in control of our own destiny, we just need to take charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment