Monday 23 July 2012

No Rest For The Wicked

Sunday is known as a day of rest by most people and even more so for those on the 12WBT.  Michelle expects us to train Monday through Saturday and have a well earned rest on Sunday.  This is something that normally is appreciated and a day that most people look forward to, especially after the gruelling training sessions we all put ourselves through on Saturdays.  This is due to the fact that we must burn off a minimum of 1000 calories on a Saturday.  For most people that can be 2 – 2 ½ hours of steady exercise.  For myself and Julie I doubt we will be resting on Sundays for the next 3 months.
Some of you will be aware that we have signed up for the Ride to Conquer Cancer and as the ride is only 96 days away we are in the process of stepping up our training.  This meant that this weekend was the first opportunity we had to work out for a good lengthy period of time and both get out on the bike.  Now, Saturday for me has usually meant that I can do our personal training session and then go for a bike ride for 35-40 kms which allowed me to burn between 1200 to 1500 calories.  This weekend I was not able to go out on the road on my bike due to Julie working early on Saturday, so I had to improvise.  After our PT session we did a bit of boxing (as mentioned in my previous post) then I jumped on my bike on the trainer for a while, did some weights and a bit of running in my back yard (covering 2kms in total of short shuttle runs) which allowed me to burn 1325 calories.  Not a bad mornings work actually.

 


Sunday was a different story.  Julie was fortunate enough that she wasn’t working, so after our oldest son’s football match she went out on a bike ride, for her first serious hit out.  She managed to ride 40kms in around 2 hours 30 mins, which is an awesome effort and she came home feeling good and like she could keep going.  Only reason she came home was to let me get out.  Knowing that I really had no time constraints on me, I was looking forward for a bit of a longer ride than I had done in the past.  I headed out on my usual route but extended it a little at one end and by the time I got home I had ridden 50.4kms in just on 2 hours.  Added to this new benchmark for me was the fact that I managed to average 25km per hour and burn an amazing 1705 calories in 2 hours (time shows a bit longer due to stretching afterwards).  This is almost equivalent to my daily intake of food.  That is HUGE for me!!!!
I will admit that both of us are a little sore today, but it is a good soreness and I am proud to say that for the first time I actually felt like an athlete out there on my bike.  I might not look like one just yet, but at least I am feeling fitter, healthier, more confident and I believe that what I am doing is making a difference to my life, my kids lives and also making me a better person, father and husband.   Whilst I appreciate that the sight of a large man in cycling gear is probably not the prettiest of visions when I fly past you, suck it up, I don’t care what you think.  This is about me and from now on that is the way it should be and will be. 

Anyone wanting to donate to my efforts in raising money for Peter Mac on my quest to Conquer Cancer can do so on the below link.  I am hoping that I can raise $7000 and I am currently just over $5000 so any donations are greatly appreciated and if you can notify your friends and family of this great cause that would be appreciated as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment